An ever-evolving heritage. A truly exciting future. Two of the world’s most iconic brands. Jaguar Land Rover is revered across the globe. Continually pushing the boundaries of innovation and redefining the benchmark for excellence, we set the standards others want to follow. We want to keep it that way too. Which is where you join the journey.
The automotive industry is in the midst of a once in a generational revolution as it accelerates toward autonomous driving, connectivity and electrification. Join our team to design, develop and shape the future of our electrical and electronic systems; that’ll be your goal as you apply your technical expertise to help develop robust software in our vehicles. This includes everything from autonomous vehicles and advanced control systems to class-leading infotainment, cloud-connected features and integration of consumer electronic technologies, not to mention the opportunity to drive advanced prototype vehicles.
The future is yours.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Product Impact & Scope of Innovation: Responsible for leading a team of embedded software engineers developing for new JLR ECUs, this code can range from vehicle level across multiple ECU’s to single ECU level depending on product and systems.
- Technical Expertise: Extensive knowledge of Systems Architecture and development. Experience of developing in an embedded environment, and deep understanding of C/C++, Virtualisation, and Embedded Operating Systems
- Teamwork and Leadership: Positive team player, with the strength of character to drive non expert software engineers and mechanical engineers to support the development of robust code.
- Understanding the business: Understands team & group goals
- Problem Solving: Issue resolution is a key skill and software is often the quickest but most complex to understand due to it lack of physical nature. It is critical that the role is capable of using extensive theory based problem solving as repeating defects is often very time consuming and difficult, so being able to develop a list of theoretical root causes and be able to eliminate these through analysis / test is fundamental.
- Planning and Scheduling: Agree a complete end to end development schedule for software including release timing targets, capable of delivering activities to achieve these plans and the drafting / evaluation of software release notes.
- Coach, Train & Mentor: Shares knowledge with others through regular training and delivery support is fundamental to this role also.
- Internally: Leading a team of Embedded SW Engineers working within Product Engineering and across multiple work groups and sub teams.
- Customers: Engages with Product owners and marketing to define and deliver the features and functions of our future vehicles.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Proven track record of leading a development team and delivering features
- 10+ Years development experience using C/C++
- Capable of technically define / develop / maintain full software
- Knowledge of Embedded operating systems (Linux, QNX Neutrino, etc)
- Knowledge of software structures / architectures
- Knowledge of the software development process and industry tool sets
- Knowledge of how to define the system variability, error handling and robustness processes.
- Fundamental knowledge of electronics hardware platforms
- Degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Committed team player, software programmes are often very complex and require extra ordinary effort to deliver due to limited expertise across OEM’s
- Knowledge of hardware from silicon (processor, memory etc) up
- Knowledge of automotive and consumer networks
- Full Driving Licence
- Proven track record of leading development teams
- Displays a proactive willingness to volunteer for work elements / projects outside job scope where the individual can contribute and it is a company priority
- Identifies, quantifies and flags problems. Develops new principals and concepts.
- Executes to schedule on assigned work with attention to detail.
- Clearly communicates work/schedule to supervisor
- Freely and proactively shares knowledge with others
- Acts with freedom to take on and resolve technical / business challenges that are preventing successful delivery of the project/s
- Flexibility to travel to other JLR / partner locations when required to assist in delivery of project objectives