IT Career Tips for Covid - 19 Era
Date April 2020
- If you still have an IT job and your employer asks you to take a pay cut, take it. Better to have a job that will also show your Manager / employer you are flexible to help out in these difficult times. If work is quiet, offer to do any odd jobs that will help your manager / employer - train some juniors, etc.
- To cover yourself in case things get worse (or you have already lost your job) , we suggest start targeting other IT roles within industries such as Food/FMCG, Medical/Pharma/Healthcare, Logistics, basically essential services. (Click here to setup IT job alerts)
- If you have been unlucky to have lost your IT job, be ready to move fast once things pick up. Make contact with all past work colleagues, managers, suppliers or even clients and let them know if they hear of any IT roles, you are available & keep in touch every 2 weeks - just text/email is fine. It's not a sign of your IT Skills if you have lost your job, it's affected everyone so stay active on the job search. No Netflix till after 6!!
- Use this time to make contact with 5-10 IT recruiters you might have had contact with in the past - again it's just to stay on their radar every few weeks for when things pick up and you are foremost in their mind for new roles. Click here for IT job hunting tips.
- Get up to speed on all social media channels. Use this time to get up to speed on twitter, facebook, Linkedin.
- Great way to get the message out that A) your on the market or B) your still working in X doing Y.
Remember - Try and stay positive
For those around you also.