Linux Infrastructure Engineer
itContracting are currently seeking applications for a Linux Infrastructure Engineer. This is a permanent position based with our client in Carlow.
- Individuals in the Infrastructure Engineer position are responsible for the installation, configuration, and maintenance of one or several of Linux / Cloud / Windows / Networking infrastructure technologies in an enterprise environment.
- The Infrastructure Engineer is seen as a strong technical subject matter expert within its area of responsibility.
- Has overall technical responsibility for the implementation, modification, enhancement, and ongoing support of operating system, as well as the software tools required to manage the relevant infrastructure.
- They are accountable for providing level II technical assistance for existing and future infrastructure technologies.
- Duties include ensuring the availability of applications, assisting in configuring all new implementations, and developing processes and procedures for ongoing management of our enterprise computing environment.
- They are also responsible for ensuring system component performance is at optimum levels and for evaluating and approving measures to correct variances.
- They must possess critical subject matter expertise of how business applications function in the operating environment and how they have been configured and customized to meet specific business and company objectives.
- They will also participate as a technical resource in medium and large-scale projects which are complex in nature.
- This position frequently collaborates with other technical and business applications’ personnel to acquire or provide technical direction.
- Specific areas of expertise may be:
- operating system(s)
- storage management
- systems management
- web administration
- database management
- application technical stacks
- Additionally, this position may require working knowledge of multiple computing platforms (including physical, virtual, and cloud.)
- This position works independently with minimal guidance needed from its manager. The role may mentor Infrastructure Engineer Is and/or Associate Infrastructure Engineers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Defines, implements and manages the relevant infrastructure technologies.
- Performs tool administrative tasks and provide application support for our platform.
- Reviews infrastructure security holes, applies patches, creates console roles and reviews, and creates and installs security packs as needed.
- Transfers knowledge via documentation and training to software development organization.
- Establishes foundation for future implementations and automation requirements in the designated technology field, identifies opportunities for automation and develops scalable solutions.
- Collaborates with cross functional stakeholders.
- Provides timely and accurate estimates for deliverables.
- Participates in strategic and tactical planning sessions.
- Develops monitoring, dashboards, escalations and alerts.
- Follows incident management and change management processes, creates run-books.
- Participates in on-call rotations for emergency events and escalations.
- Works with the operations team lead to remediate issues.
- Utilizes verbal and written communication skills to maintain accurate system documentation and provides training as required.
- Able to communicate how to leverage technology to create business value and become more effective and efficient.
- Works with project managers and peers to understand and solve challenging technical problems, produce effort estimates, and improve system functionality, reliability and reduce costs.
- Ensures system or component performance meets expectations; monitors actions to correct variance or improve efficiency.
- Resolves complex system problems affecting business applications and computing services users.
- Provides on-call support, 1 in every 4 weeks - week long rotation of 24/7 on-Call support, includes weekends.
- Is a recognized technical expert in several computing specialties and frequently provides technical advice to developers and integrators of business application systems.
- Monitors infrastructure, identifies bottlenecks, provides solutions and works with application development teams to identify and develop fixes/solutions and implement them into the relevant infrastructure and/or application as needed.
- Reviews application backup, recovery, and redundancy strategies and works with teams to ensure ability to execute.
- Provides effective technical leadership and knowledge-transfer to less-experienced team members.
- Effectively interacts with customers and acts as a liaison with a vendor or application development team to find solutions to problems.
- Identifies opportunities for improving existing environment by enhancing capabilities and/or reducing operating expenses.
- Develops and maintains technical drawings, operational procedures and guides, maintains hardware and software inventories.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in computer science, or equivalent relevant business experience
- Has related work experience
- Industry certification is a plus
- Possesses highly developed technical expertise in multiple key operating system or subsystem areas
- Strong ability to operate independently in developing and implementing the most complex technical solutions
- Where relevant, demonstrates experience supporting in-house developed business applications and working directly with application development teams
- Strong ability to leverage scripting and other tools to automate routine tasks
- Through product research and personal experience, able to articulate strategy for appropriating various software and technologies to meet long range computing requirements
- Has good human relations skills; able to work productively in team setting
- Strong ability to drive resolution of highly complex technical problems
- Strong ability to effectively summarize and clearly communicate software/hardware problems involving multiple support team(s)
- Organized, able to follow through and complete projects with minimal supervision.
- Systematic, technically curious, self-motivated and able to work independently without direct supervision
- Must be comfortable in a fast paced, multiple priority environment
- Strong ability to prioritize and divide time between multiple projects
- Has excellent written and verbal communications skills; able to communicate effectively with systems associates at all levels
- Strong ability to communicate with multiple levels of organizational leadership and deliver impactful presentations
- Able to effectively collaborate with other IT groups for requirements on the topic of expertise
Our client and its family of businesses offer competitive pay and an excellent benefits package, world-class training and development, and a culture built on employee ideas.
They are an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to person’s race, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, family status, membership of the travelling community, gender or sexual orientation.
Apply now if you’re interested in working in an exciting and challenging environment for a company that is on the move!
Candidates must be eligible to work in Ireland or currently hold a Stamp 4 Visa to apply.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please do so via the relevant link. If you would like to discuss this role in confidence, please contact Chris Byrne in itContracting directly.
Evros / itContracting is an equal opportunity employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best available person for a job regardless of marital / civil partnership status, sex (including pregnancy), age, religion, belief, race, nationality and ethnic or national origin, colour, sexual orientation or disability. Evros / itContracting apply all relevant Data Protection laws when processing your Personal Data.