Responsible for Health and Safety
Purpose of Role:
To support line management, across all parts of the business, in the elimination of accidents at work, through the development and implementation of safety management systems, and the creation and embedding of a culture of health and safety awareness. The Health and Safety Officer will also work closely with line managers/Employee Services in working towards agreed Health & Safety goals as well as ensuring compliance with statutory requirements.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
* Development and circulation of Health & Safety Policy
* Ensure the availability of and regular review of updating of Health and Safety Statements for every site.
* Ensure there is a trained Safety Officer at each site.
* Ensure safety committee meetings take place and operate effectively.
* Carry out hazard identification and risk assessments across the organisation. Arrange audits of sites as and when required in accordance with best practice.
* Ensure all PPE and testing equipment is kept within calibration and has relevant certification
* Identify and manage health and safety consultants who may be used to carry out audits, provide training or assist in the planning for meeting OSHAS 18001 requirement.
* Evaluate and approve all health and safety personal protection equipment prior to procurement decision being taken.
* Approve the design and construction of new sites and approve layout and equipment for new and existing sites from a health and safety perspective including liaison with PSDS/PSCS
* Ensure there is a clear health and safety induction process for all new employees including office staff and report on implementation of same.
* Ensure all subcontractors have a robust system of work in place and regular audits are carried out
* Develop relationships with H&S managers for all sub contractors
* Ensure there is an annual health and safety training plan and report on its implementation.
* Gather data on, and analyse safety incidents and accidents and make recommendations to the Directors and line managers as to how incidents and accidents can be eliminated.
* Prepare internal management reports as well as reports for external regulatory agencies.
* Advise on best practice in health and safety.
* Work with Employee Services and Occupational Health Advisors to integrate health and safety programme including health surveillance.
* Develop a plan to enable the company to meet OSHAS 18001 and work with line managers to implement same.
* Ensure all accidents are immediately investigated in accordance with best practice.
* Work closely with line managers, Employee Services and insurers to proactively manage employer liability claims, with the aim of minimizing the trauma involved for employees and containing costs to those considered reasonable for the circumstances of the case.
* Create an action plan for health and safety and work with line managers to develop and embed a culture of health and safety awareness at all levels in the business using innovative and best practice interventions where possible.
* Where possible provide Manual Handling Training
* Approve contractors
* Issue PSCS / PSDP letters of appointment
* Evaluate training requirements
* Liaise with third party H&S
* Calibration of equipment / FPE certification
* Approve method statements / safety files
* Conduct on site audits
Must have prior experience in Telecommunications Industry (Preferable Wireless)