Responsible for the management of Hardware Engineers within the Development Engineering team, including budgeting for the function, performance management, skill set development, and allocation of resources to meet dynamic business needs for continuous improvement, product engineering and product development in the fields of In Vitro Diagnostics, cell analysis solutions, Lab Automation and Infusion Pumps. Apply the latest technology and industry trends to improve performance in key focus areas. Provide guidance to and / or lead teams that are responsible for the hardware & embedded software designs required for instrumented growth micro, cell analysis, molecular, cytology, and diagnostic systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Functional Management of the Hardware Engineering Staff
* Define the engineering capability required to meet new product development and sustaining objectives.
* Responsible for the maintenance and reliability enhancements of products in the Life Sciences and Medical segments.
* Identify talent and hire associates with the capabilities needed to meet the department objectives
* Assess and manage performance and development the associates within the group.
* Work with the Business Unit Integration leaders and Quality to unify processes and tools (where possible) to enable common way of working between Biosciences and Diagnostic Systems and Medication Management Solutions.
* Drive technical and process excellence
* Increase design efficiency to lower development lead time and cost
* Drive cross project standardization and re-use for designs/components.
* Apply engineering expertise in a leadership role.
* Lead or participate in design reviews. Thoroughly assess the ability of proposed designs to meet specified requirements, including manufacturability and serviceability.
* Plan and lead technical improvement projects within established schedules, budgets, and product cost targets.
* Troubleshoot and determine root cause of product failure and provide timely solutions.
* Reduce exposure to risk through long life cycle and obsolescence management
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
* Talent management skills including coaching and mentoring, dealing with conflict. Manage performance and drive achievement. Recognize and deals effectively with low performance. Ability to recruit, hire, and maintain high caliber staff
* Demonstrated leadership skills driving product design enhancement projects; improve reliability and upgrade current designs leading to increased value and customer satisfaction
* Strong project management skills. Use of Microsoft Project and actuals reporting to generate earned value metrics
* Technical strength in electronic, mechanical and or software embedded engineering
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* BSc in a recognized engineering discipline. MSc preferred.
* Minimum six years of experience leading engineering product development teams or managing a functional group of Engineers