The Data Centre Technician is responsible for Tier I, front-line support of IT and Network Infrastructure within the raised floor areas of the Data Centre. Support services are provided to clients to help keep systems and associated data securely protected and available for business use. Support functions include a wide range of activities relating to installation, maintenance, and ongoing operations of the cabinets, equipment, and communication services inside the Data Centre. The Data Centre Technician demonstrates BGIS values in communications with clients and other team members.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Installations and Troubleshooting
* Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
* Respond to scheduled and emergency dispatches to Data Centre for after-hours service calls and security escorts.
* Complete physical installation and power-up (Rack & Stack) of servers, peripherals, and network equipment.
* Complete physical installation, dressing, and connection of fiber and copper communications cables.
* Provide installation and replacement services for hot-swappable or modular hardware components such as hard drives and power supplies.
* Deliver selected software support services such as controlled system reboots, process/service reinitialization, and device configuration under direction of customer specialists or other experienced team members.
* Visual inspection and status reporting services in response to client requests.
* Meet client deadlines by completing assigned and scheduled tasks in a timely manner.
* Review site specific roles defined in detail via supplemental documentation provided at the Data Centre.
* Follow details for specific work assignments, tasks, and procedures that are provided as required.
* Contribute to the completion of other key initiatives as assigned.
Documentation and Safety
1. Receive, record, and store shipments of equipment and materials for clients and Data Centre use.
2. Document work in designated ticketing systems, asset management systems, and other record keeping systems as required for reference and audit purposes.
3. Regular walks through Data Centre during each shift, lifting servers and other equipment, working from ladders, running cables, working with hand tools and test equipment and other physical requirements of the position.
3. Comply with all safety policies, practices, and procedures.
4. Provide security escort services for carriers, service providers, and maintenance technicians.
5. Ensure compliance with business requirements via established Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and other performance indicators (i.e., response time, resolution rate, service quality, customer satisfaction) to ensure service levels are met.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
* Degree in computer-related field.
* Full driver's license with access to own transport.
* Minimum two years' experience with IT and networking systems in a technical or operations capacity in a Data Centre environment or equivalent work experience.
* Fundamental understanding of Data Centre architectures and systems for raised floor space: equipment cabinets, containment solutions, final power distribution, computer systems, network systems, cabling systems, and communications circuits.
* Familiarity with Data Centre security and audit standards: ISO-27001, PCI, SSAE16, SOC 1, and SOC 2.
* Ability to act with urgency to provide world class customer support.
* Positive approach to work in a team environment where diversity, knowledge transfer, and cohesiveness is promoted.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Strong customer service skills and ability to maintain good relations with clients and other team members.
* Ability to work collaboratively with clients, team members and other service providers to plan and execute tasks.
* Skilled to perform work independently and with limited supervision to complete assigned tasks.
* High standards for quality, organization, and cleanliness with tasks, equipment, and workspaces.
* Good troubleshooting skills to investigate and resolve systems and infrastructure problems.
* Demonstrated basic understanding of network hardware equipment and TCP/IP networking principles.
* Previous applied work experience with computer server hardware systems running Windows or UNIX/Linux operating systems.
* Proficiency with software tools such as Microsoft Office and Visio or AutoCAD.
* Working knowledge of one or more ticketing systems, ServiceNow knowledge preferred.
* Experience with dynamic Colocation and Managed Services environments preferred.
* Supplemental accreditations from established industry organizations such as Cisco (e.g., CCNA, CCNP), CompTIA (e.g., A+) are beneficial.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
Ability and willingness to travel regionally and internationally, travel cost will be reimbursed.
Flexible to cover shifts between 07:00 am - 07:00 pm (Mon - Fri) and support scheduled activities outside of working hours.
Participate in On-Call rotation as assigned.
Physical ability to lift and move equipment with a minimum weight of fifty (50) pounds.
Ability to work at heights and from ladders.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned