IT Search is working exclusively with a global giant to appoint a Big Data Engineer for a significant data engineering lab - unlike anything else in Dublin. This is a central hub for global engineering and "imagineering" efforts for this global giant. You'll own a global datalake orientated on supporting data science, insights and digital capabilities.
You'll work with a team of data engineers, quant analytics, data scientists and data analysts - sharing techniques and learning loads - but also collaborating globally with international offices, expertise in their fields and constantly striving to "create" better ways of approaching data driven commercial challenges.
City centre location.
Key Purpose of the Role
- The Big Data Developer/Engineer role is one of gathering information and understanding, which feeds into both technical and business work. You will be responsible for working with many of the client’s internal staff and directly with customers in order to gather and document information, which will focus on opportunities to leverage data to provide a value adding service
- This is a technical role, supporting and driving the building out our client’s big data platform.
- Primarily you will be responsible for engaging with the company’s sister verticals, initially the group’s local entities, to understand the types of data available to our client, the format of this data, and will work with data engineers where appropriate to build and populate our client’s big data instance.
- You will be expected to have an understanding of the commercial and regulatory sensitivities associated with sharing data
- You will be contribute to monthly meetings with each organisation in our client’s group portfolio to gather information and understanding as well as respond to requests for new technology or technology-derived solutions from both technical and commercial members of the Data Monetisation team, but will also be accountable for pro-actively working and adding value.
- You will work closely with other members across the client’s group of companies, including the technical community, and Service and Commercial managers, to define solutions, and ensure that the solution deployed is fit for purpose and can be readily deployed and operated. You will also be expected to work with Commercial and Business Development to specify and present new technical solutions & offerings.
Finally, IT Search's client is a new entity, committed to the growth of the group, and of its staff members. Wherever possible, and consistent with ongoing work tasks and schedules, flexibility will be afforded to support the candidate’s development into other areas as desired by the candidate.
- Building out and supporting with the Big Data Ecosystem
- Develop and maintain big data system documentation
- Capture and document data catalogue information based on inputs and documents provided.
- Identify and document any risks to the solution
- Use Big Data programming languages and techniques to design, develop and test our client’s Big Data ML/AI applications
- Develop large scale, secure restful web services
- Work with new data sources to transform and ingest new data sets into the (HDFS) Big Data Lake
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to identify potential services, to develop technical specifications and translate these specifications into detailed designs.
- Document solution in RFP responses, proposals and Statement of Works/High Level Designs
- Build working relationships with peers across the group properties to discover the data assets available.
- Translate Detailed designs into working prototypes and robust services
- Ensure solutions are deliverable in time frames committed and have passed all appropriate solution governance
- Strong interpersonal skills for leading technical meetings and delivering presentations
- Use best in class agile software development and project management process to ensure quality and timeliness of product delivery
Demonstrable expertise in more than one of the following areas:
Cloud Architectures – AWS or MS Azure.
- Requirements capture
- Data Visualisation
- BIG Data, HDFS, Hive, Batch and Streaming ETL processes.
- Programming languages and techniques including Python, SQL, Spark.
- IP Networking (WAN & LAN)
- Working with diverse data sets. Including Public/Open data
- Security solutions
- Experience using Data Visualisations tools, e.g. Tableau, QLik
- Experience in dealing with corporate customers
- Demonstrable experience in a specific vertical – e.g. Telco, FS, Retail, Travel
- 3rd level degree in IT/Computer Science and/or data processing or application design is highly desirable.
Skills and Approach
- Self-motivated, highly organised individual able to work well with all levels in the organisation;
- Ability to build strong relationships with stakeholders.
- Good ability to clearly document information.
- Excellent communication skills;
- Flexible and self-sufficient in the working environment.
A significant package plus benefits.
Our client is an equal opportunities employer - however visa sponsorship is not available for this role at this time. Stamp 4 is a minimum required.
About IT Search
Adrian Clarke is Head of Analytics Recruitment at IT Search. Your application will be handled in strictest confidence & we will be happy to advise you on your career & direction in data analytics, data science, data technology or digital analytics.