As an Application Developer you will join an Agile team responsible for the ongoing development, maintenance and support of a web-based platform and backend gateway for consuming global trade data. With a significant day-to-day reliance on these platforms and a big growth agenda for the year(s) ahead, the candidate will need to be adaptable and responsive to changing demands, as prioritised by the Product Owner and IT Support Manager.
What you will do
• Develop a strong understanding of the current operation of the platform through resolution of IT support tickets for first 3 months.
• Design and implement solutions to new features for existing platform thereafter, while providing Level 3 support from an application perspective.
• Contribute to the strategic re-development of our gateway longer term, enhancing standards, testing, build process, documentation etc.
• Graduate to development of clean high-impact web applications and middleware for brokers and insurance carriers across the globe.
• Contribute and promote an Agile Scrum approach and adhere to disciplines and practices of the team to ensure successful delivery.
• Exhibit a high degree of personal integrity and humility.
This position reports to the IT Development Manager and is a level 8 (Junior Associate).
You should be able to
• Develop a thorough understanding of the functional requirements of the application and how customers will use it.
• Design and implement solutions using Microsoft software application framework technologies such as ASP.NET, C#, WebAPI or MVC, and SQL Server.
• Effectively conduct code reviews.
• Design/code applications requiring a high degree of complexity.
• Design data structures that meet the application requirements.
• Work with web designers to implement sensible and easy to use user interfaces.
• Interface with QA to investigate and solve specific application issues.
• Provide and maintain necessary documentation based on the needs
Act as a change agent for the application development team – using influence and collaboration in interactions with colleagues.
What you will need
• 5+ years’ experience in an Application Support or Development role, with focus on .NET & SQL
• Understanding of OO concepts and patterns for middleware and web app development
• Full software development lifecycle experience, ideally using Agile (backlogs, user stories, planning, grooming, design spikes, delivery) through to deployment and support
• Experience in .NET Framework 3.5+ and any related frameworks for messaging, persistence etc.
• Some RDBMS knowledge (Oracle 10G or SQL Server 2008 and above)
• Understanding of tools for source control (SVN/Git), automated builds (TeamCity), automated testing (Selenium etc.) and towards continuous delivery
• Student of software, immersed in learning about development discipline and practices, staying up to date with current trends and able to translate those into suggestions and new ideas.
• Has excellent communication skills and can effectively explain highly technical concepts to team members.
• Someone with good interpersonal skills with the ability to interact at various levels of a diverse organisation.
• Comfortable and composed working in a high-pressure environment.
• Able to multi- task, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Focused on attention to detail and accuracy and have strong analytic/diagnostic skills.
• Flexible within the role and displays a willingness to get involved in appropriate tasks as requested from time to time.
• Familiar with Service Management toolsets, processes and workflows.
• Able to demonstrate customer management / service skills.
• Self-driven and resourceful to achieve goals independently as well as work well in groups.
• Flexible to work out of regular working hours, if required.
• BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent.
• Familiarisation with Agile and ITIL Service Management.
• Great career opportunities both in Ireland and globally.
• Great training opportunities – AWS/ITIL/Agile/TOGAF certification
• Opportunity to work with talented, motivated colleagues e.g. 12 AWS certified on site.
• Agile working, in a cross-functional team – 19 teams spanning Business & IT at present
• Newly revamped city centre offices with plenty of natural light
• Chance to work with great technology in a high profile area of the industry, helping to bring game changing analytics to the market
• Sport and social club that contributes to the fun office environment
• Remuneration and attractive range of benefits geared to attract the very best